- Duration: 29m 41s
- Skill Level: General
- Released: October 26, 2016
- Viewers: 55,758
Learn the most in-demand business, tech and creative skills from industry experts.
- Exercise Files
- View Offline
You don’t have to be an extrovert to be good at networking, and you don’t have to be fake. In this course, former presidential campaign spokeswoman and self-professed introvert Dorie Clark shows you networking strategies that you can personalize to play to your strengths and connect with people you actually like. She helps you identify the most important people in your network and prioritize who is most critical to your success. She also helps you choose which networking events are a valuable use of your time, and shows how you can host one yourself. Then, you’ll learn how to start conversations that build real connections, and use social media to network authentically. Last, she helps put all the elements together into a plan you can use to become a better networker.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
Keynote Speaker; Harvard Business Review Contributor; Duke University Fuqua School of Business Adjunct Prof; 3x Author
Learn MoreShow lessView on LinkedIn
Dorie Clark is an adjunct professor of business administration at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business.
Dorie is also the author of Reinventing You and Stand Out, which was named the number one leadership book of 2015 by Inc. magazine and was a Washington Post best-seller. A former presidential campaign spokeswoman, Dorie was described by the New York Times as an “expert at self-reinvention and helping others make changes in their lives.”
She is a frequent contributor to the Harvard Business Review, Time, and Entrepreneur. Recognized as a branding expert by the Associated Press, Inc., and Fortune, Dorie is a marketing strategy consultant and speaker for clients including Google, Microsoft, Yale University, Fidelity, the U.S. State Department, and the World Bank. You can download her free 42-page Stand Out self-assessment workbook and learn more at dorieclark.com.
– Have you ever been to a networking event where you didn’t know anyone and felt horribly uncomfortable? Or, have you had someone glom onto you and try to push their product? Forget all that. That is not networking. That’s bad networking. I am Dorie Clark, author of Stand Out Networking, and in this course, we’re going to talk about how to create real relationships, in a fun and authentic way, that pay off for your business. This isn’t about being slick or mercenary. It’s about succeeding by being yourself, and connecting with people you actually like. We’ll talk about how to prioritize your networking, what events to go to, how to host your own events, how to follow up, techniques for using social media, and more. So if you’re ready, let’s get started.
Practice while you learn with exercise files
Download the files the instructor uses to teach the course. Follow along and learn by watching, listening and practicing.
- 1. Networking with Integrity1. Networking with Integrity
- 2. Networking In Person2. Networking In Person
- 3. Networking Online3. Networking Online